The 7 Rules of Life by John Kremer – These rules apply not only to life in general but also to writing, promoting, and selling your books.
1. If you wish to control your ends, begin at the beginning.
Book Marketing Advice: In selling books, the key element is always at the beginning. You must begin by writing and creating a great book. Without something great to sell, it’s hard to promote, publicize, and handsell the book.
2. You have no right to suffer. It is not necessary. Just take action. Give to the world. Give love. Give honesty. Give kindness. Give of yourself. And showering back to you will be love, honesty, kindness, and all sorts of riches.
Book Marketing Advice: You don’t ever have to suffer to create or market a great book. The best advice I can give you on how to sell books is to start by giving. Give away free samples. Share your best ideas on social networks. Create relationships with good people who can help you promote and sell your book.
3. Shake things up sometimes. Do things differently. Break the rules. Create some new rules. Have fun.
Book Marketing Advice: The best marketers are creative. They change things up. They know when to break rules. They know which rules to break. And they know who to break the rules with. Find these marketers. Make friends with them. And break a bunch of rules!
4. If your aim is small, the results will be small. If your aim is large, the results will be large. Very simple math. But absolutely accurate.
Book Marketing Advice: Think big. Don’t limit yourself. Do what is necessary to make your book known and loved.
5. Never lie. Never cover up. Tell the truth at all times.
Book Marketing Advice: Always tell the truth. Your word should be gold. That way people, partners, readers, booksellers, and so on will come to know, love, and trust you.
6. Always do the impossible. It’s the only thing worth doing. The possible has already been done.
Book Marketing Advice: Nothing truly is impossible. Never give up. Put your heart and soul into writing and marketing your books, and your love will be returned with incredible word of mouth. Note: 80% of all books are sold by word of mouth.
7. Enjoy. The best use anyone can make of any day is to enjoy it—and then spread that joy to others.
Book Marketing Advice: If you market with joy, people will pick up on your passion and love. And they will pass on you, and your book, and all that you have to share with the people they love most.