PostRocket, which helps companies optimize their Facebook campaigns, summed up the 17 most essential Facebook marketing tips in one colorful infographic.
1. Completely fill out your Page’s profile. Give them a clear concise description of what your Page is all about and an easy way to connect with you on your website, Twitter, etc.
2. Don’t ignore Facebook insights. Exported your Insights data for further analysis.Your Facebook Page will send a significant amount of referral traffic to your website.
3. Always write back. It might be tough to respond to every person, especially if your posts get hundreds, but smaller pages have no excuses. Even if you just Like a fan’s comment, that acknowledgement could turn someone from a fan to an advocate.
4. Don’t oversell. The worst thing you can do is oversell, as this is a sure-fire way to piss off fans. More salesy posts doesn’t equal more sales. Find the right mix.
5. Moderate spam and negative comments. What would you like the first impression to be when someone arrives on your page? Respond quickly to anything negative, and be sure to hide spam.
6. Focus on engagement, not Likes. How many people Like your page means nothing. Look at Audi’s Page versus the I Love Audi Page. The community page has less than 20% of the total likes but a higher PTAT (people talking about this).
7. Pin the best posts. You have a better chance of converting Likers by pinning your best post to the top so you can make a good first impression.
8. Keep it short. Make your content easy to consume, such as a quick one-liner to go along with a photo. According to Facebook, you’ll get more engagement when you keep your posts below 250 characters.
9. Post at the right frequency. Generally post two to three times a day.
10. Don’t waste time and money on page apps. Prioritize your resources by creating quality content and getting into your fans’ newsfeeds.
11. Know the rules about cover photos. Facebook was vocal from the beginning about their rules and regulations for cover photos, yet brands continue to cross the line. Don’t do that. Follow the rules.
12. Always ask, Does this post help my fans? Will they laugh? Will they gain knowledge? Will they be happy to see this? If you can’t answer yes to at least one of these questions, scrap the post and start over.
13. Don’t autopost from Twitter. People go to each site with different expectations. Meet those expectations.
14. Be personable. Your responses to comments and posts from your fans should read as if one human was speaking to another.
15. Never buy bulk Likes. These fake likes are worthless. Facebook is now making moves to remove them from your page.
16. Always stay up-to-date with Facebook updates. Facebook makes changes each and every day, some minor, some significant. Facebook typically gives new features higher visibility in the newsfeed.
17. Be visual. Grab the attention of your fans with eye-catching photos. But vary your posts with some text-only posts.
The above advice has been excerpted from PostRocket: http://blog.getpostrocket.com/2012/10/17-survival-tips-for-facebook-marketing and InfographicADay: http://infographicaday.com/17-facebook-tips-everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-facebook-marketing.
Also be sure to read: