I’ve always encouraged authors to spend as little time as possible on social networks — and more time on creating relationships with major websites and blogs devoted to your topic and audience.
To help you minimize your social media time, this infographic showcases how you can be more effective on six major social networks: LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram.
Note: If you have a WordPress blog, you can use the JetPack plugin to automate posting new blog posts to five social networks (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr, and Yahoo!).
Note: Click on the graphic at the right to see a much larger version of the graphic (one that you can read).
2nd Note: I changed the recommended time per day for some of the social networks to better reflect my recommended times per network.
- Respond to any tweets directed your way (2 minutes once a day).
- Schedule your tweets for the next week to feature your upcoming events and new content (10 to 15 minutes once a week).
- Retweet the content of others in your industry to build relationships (3 to 4 minutes once a day).
Facebook (6 minutes per day)
- Respond to comments (2 minutes per day).
- Like the content of your partners and tribe (2 minutes per day).
- Post your content on your page (2 minutes per day).
LinkedIn (6 minutes per day)
- Share your company news and professional content on your company profile (1 minute per day).
- Share your content on related LinkedIn groups (2 minutes per day).
- Engage in key discussions via those same LinkedIn groups (2 minutes per day).
- Ask a question on your page or in relevant groups to start discussions of your own (1 minute per day).
Pinterest (5 minutes per day)
- Pin any new content from your blog or website (1 minute per day).
- Repin content from other blogs or boards (2 minutes per day).
- Engage with people who have pinned your content. Say thanks (2 minutes per day).
Google+ (3 minutes per day)
- Share new content with your circles (1 minute per day).
- Ask questions or start conversations (1 minute per day).
- Respond to those who like your content or comment on it (1 minute per day).
Instagram (2 minutes per day)
- Share photos of your staff, events, or office space (2 minutes per week).
- Share photos of recent infographics, slides, or videos (5 minutes per week).
- Share motivational quotes as images (1 minute per day).